Thursday, April 10, 2008

Being a Substitute Teacher

As I have mentioned in class before, I frequently substitute for my colleagues. I think it is always a good idea to observe other classroom dynamics. I want to share one story in particular with you:

One of my friends who teaches 105 got pneumonia this past semester. He was out of class for two weeks. The first week he was out, he held virtual class on Vista, but since this is not an online course, he could not have a class online any longer. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, AND Thursday that class had different subs. I just so happened to be the Thursday sub (and that following Monday). I understand that having a new teacher everyday and not being able to speak to your actual instructor can be very frustrating.

So that Thursday, I walked into a very hostile classroom. I have taught high school classes before, and let me tell you, this was deja vu. I didn't think that subbing a college class would be so similar to working with high school students. I teach adults for a reason. I do not have the patience for nagging, rude, and immature students. I had heard that they were a difficult bunch through the other subs, but I underestimated the environment I was walking into. It wasn't that long ago that you were in high school. Imagine those days when you had a substitute. Remember those kids who took on a personal mission to try and make the sub cry? This was a room full of them. Long story less long... they were brats.

I think that the last thing a young adult wants to hear from someone older is that they are acting like what they are trying so hard to get away from... that high school student. I wasn't trying to insult them, I was pointing out the obvious. That's all. And let me tell you, the moment that I told them to "grow up or get out" they morphed into what they should be... a young adult in a college classroom.

What I am trying to say is... Thank you. You guys have been an enjoyable class to work with and this semester is coming to an end quickly. I am glad to be the one in the GA break room who is not complaining about my students. I guess I am just lucky...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, its funny you mention this, because i feel the same way, but in a student way i guess. all my friends are always complaining about their english teachers, and all the meaningless work. just know the appreciation goes both ways :)

JWhitham89 said...

I think it is easy to be respectful and willing to learn when the teacher reciprocates those two things. Also when the teacher is very hard working but also willing to have a lot of fun it makes going to class easy instead of a chore Thanks.

*Miranda* said...

My best friend/roommate is in that class. Her name is Sarah. She's pretty quiet. She was talking about you and how you're real bubbly.

Jacki Belknap said...

I remember Sarah... she was definitely an exception to my story:)

Anonymous said...

Thats interesting, what I see a lot is younger people trying to act like adults and adults trying to act like young adults. When really they should grow up, because it really isn't a pretty sight.