Sunday, March 9, 2008

Before I Kick the Bucket...

There are so many things to be accomplished in life, but I have a few which are most important to me:
  • Hike Mt Kilimanjaro
  • Write a grammar/composition book
  • Have a professorship at an accredited university
  • Ride in a hot air balloon
  • Go deep sea fishing
  • Catch a firefly
  • Visit family in Switzerland
  • Meet Richard Branson
  • Help someone change their life for the better
  • Build a church
  • Educate and mentor my students
It is important to know what you expect out of the short time you have to live your life. It is important to recognize the significance of certain desires. Ask yourself: Why is it vital that I do this? If the answer is unknown, there is some internal search that must be addressed. I recommend writing your goals somewhere, whether it is in a journal or just a post-it. There is a power in the admittance of the wants in life. Acknowledging your goals gives you the inspiration needed to explore effective means of attaining them. I keep this list by my computer at my home office. It is reassuring. It is encouraging.

2 comments:

Michele Genesis said...

I agree with all that you said. After loosing my friend to suicide last week i have been thinking about how fragile life really is. I think i will write a list of what i want to accomplish with my life as well. thats a really good idea. Life is so short and you never know when its going to end.

JWhitham89 said...

This is great. I have never thought of doing this. It is a good idea even if you never get around to all of the goals. Just the first step of admitting what you want and writing it down is enough to make you feel great, and like your life has a reason and a purpose. Also, if you are ever in Albuquerque in early October I think you could ride in any balloon you wanted (the balloon fiesta). They even have a Darth Vader balloon now!