Thursday, April 17, 2008

Just to Clarify

Tension. We all notice it. Don't think I don't notice some of your frustration. This time of the semester is always rough on everyone. As we all know, I am hard of hearing. But I am not completely deaf. I am sorry to hear some of you are confused with the assignments. So I want to set a few things straight.

But first, just out of curiosity... did you know that even though you have your phone under the desk, I can still see it? I definitely see some of you texting. I think it's rude. Just throwing that out there. And I know some lectures can be incredibly boring. Remember, I was in your shoes before. Hang in there because there is some helpful information.

The semester is coming to the end and everyone is stressed out. So here is exactly what I am expecting:

1. Blogs-- Step it up. It is not fair that only some of you are actually completing the assignment. Some people spend a lot of time on their postings and commenting on other postings (as you all should be and I appreciate). Others of you are blowing this assignment off, which is your decision. Just remember that this is 10% of your grade, and only those who complete the assignment will get decent points. This assignment was designed to be laid back to help you open up, but apparently some of you are being TOO laid back. Give your classmates feedback and write thoughtfully.

2. Extended Argument-- You have chosen a topic which is hopefully interesting enough to keep you engaged and motivated. Those of you who stayed awake will remember that I lectured about writing style on Wednesday. The point of it all was to show you that there are rules and restrictions that can be binding and smothering. If you just let yourself write, you will have an easier time and a paper to be proud of. Did my lecture mean that you should throw all convention out the window? Definitely not. Remember that this is still an academic paper. This is a formal argument. If you chose to stray from common rules, do it carefully and make sure it is effective. Also, if you refer to the EA prompt, you will see that you need to include visuals. I am requiring at least 1 but would like to see 2. Consult to your Writer's Resource on how to cite it properly (and embed it properly). The pictures should not take up more than 1/2 page total.

3. EA Presentations-- Your presentations will not be required to be as formal as your group presentations. I do not want your presentation to be something you stress too much about. I am not requiring visuals (but it might work really well for some of you). In the world of higher academia, when you write a paper you usually present it. You will most likely find this out in your upper level classes. Basically, you tell your audience what you researched, why, and what you found. Then comes the defense. At this time, your audience asks questions. Expect 2-3 minutes of presenting your paper, then 3-4 minutes of question/answer.

4. Portfolio-- We will discuss this in length.

Finally, as always, if you are confused about something...talk to me about it! I am pretty accessible and more than willing to help you understand.


Hang in there!!!

3 comments:

Casey Parnis said...

I think you explained everything pretty in depth in class, but it's nice to have this to refer to. And definitely don't rethink teaching Pulp Fiction! It's a great movie and you shouldn't feel bad at all. I knew I was fine which is why I didn't say anything. Seriously.

Michele Genesis said...

Thank you for re-explaining everything to us. Today in class there was a lot of cunfusion about homework but we will get through it. You hang in as well!! Almost done, and good luck on your papers. I have two due this week as well, not as long, but still worth A LOT of points and time consuming plus two tests. :/ just a few more weeks...

Cassie said...

Thank you for re-explaining what is going on homework wise the rest of the semester, it did help clear up a lot of confusion.
&
Going off of your comment from my blog, He got him at the one in Verde Valley. He is a Husky/Shepherd mix. And by far the cutest puppy ever. (I'm bias :X)